A weekend warrior working musician hailing from the frozen tundra of Calgary, Alberta, guitarist Ron Klimek got his first taste of being part of a band on local television. This started him down the path of more bands, more opportunities, eventually leading him…here. With me. A neighbor, a friend, and now bandmate in our new endeavor, R2V, Ron sits down with me to test some new equipment and talk about how he got to where he is and what he sees in the miles ahead. Hope you enjoy.
We start by talking about the new podcast set-up before digging into:
- The difference between the full-time and part-time musician
- Ron’s personal journey with music, from early days to the present
- Finding your voice and sharing that journey through social media and mentorship
- Technology and the potential dehumanizing of music. The millennial whoop.
- There are many paths. You have to find your own.
- As you go down your path, share what you’ve learned.
“If you never make a dime, you will get far more out of it than you put into it.”
Mentioned in this Episode
- Picasso Café, Bar and Restaurant and on FB
- The Millennial Whoop
- What to do when Facebook denies your page name change
The Unstarving Musician is committed to sharing the best tips and information of other music professionals to help musicians do more of what they love – make music. Our weekly podcasts features in depth discussions with musicians and music space professionals discussing music creation, marketing, and business tips. All this is made possible by the contributions of individuals like you in our shared community who love making music.
Patreon is a bit like Kickstarter, but instead of culminating in one large project, it’s a way of crowdfunding ongoing creative endeavors. Patreon also serves as a community site where supporters can communicate and discuss new creations.
Visit the Unstarving Musician Crowd Sponsor Page for more on supporting
- The Unstarving Musician’s Guide to Getting Paid Gigs, by Robonzo
- BandZoogle– The all-in-one platform that makes it easy to build a beautiful website for your music
- The Musician’s Profit Path: The 5-Stage Blueprint To Create Massive Growth In Your Fan Base and Sustainable Income For Your Music Career, by Bree Noble
- No Booker, No Bouncer, No Bartender: How I Made $25K On A 2-Month House Concert Tour, by Shannon Curtis
Visit my Resources page for more musician resources.
This episode is brought to you by Bandzoogle.
From garage bands to Grammy winners, Bandzoogle powers the websites for thousands of musicians around the world.
Plans start at just $8.29/month, which includes hosting and your own free custom domain name. Go to Bandzoogle.com to start your 30 day free trial. Use promo code “robonzo” to get 15% off the first year of any subscription.
*Full Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. If you purchase products using these links, I’ll earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. Thanks for your support!