Kendall Rucks is highly influenced by the fashion and vibe of the 60s and 70s, has roots in 80s and 90s rock, and she loves LA. Inspired by Fiona Apple’s Tidal album, Kendall’s big goal is to create an album that tells a story, while balancing the current single release strategy that is successful in the current industry.
Kendall grew up in Florida, but now calls LA home as she works both as a solo artist and with her band, The Zodiac Mafia. Known for her powerful vocals, Kendall juggles multiple projects, infuses several genres and consciously works to create a strong brand identity.
We start by talking about her singles release strategy (05:09) and go on to discuss:
- (09:26) Her upcoming gig at Okeechobee Fest
- (13:10) The impact of a management company on her career
- (19:01) Advice for aspiring artists to get support
- (20:45) How to develop your brand identity
- (25:30) The origin of her appreciation for rock music
- (29:45) Her time at the Musicians Institute
“You can be talented, you can have great music, but if you don’t have an identity that sets you apart from others you don’t have a product.”
Mentioned in this Episode
Support the Podcast
The Unstarving Musician exists solely through the generosity of its listeners, readers, and viewers. Visit our Crowd Sponsor page to learn how you can offer your support.
Click here to visit the Unstarving Musician Crowd Sponsor page.
- The Unstarving Musician’s Guide to Getting Paid Gigs, by Robonzo
- BandZoogle– The all-in-one platform that makes it easy to build a beautiful website for your music
- The Musician’s Profit Path: The 5-Stage Blueprint To Create Massive Growth In Your Fan Base and Sustainable Income For Your Music Career, by Bree Noble
- No Booker, No Bouncer, No Bartender: How I Made $25K On A 2-Month House Concert Tour, by Shannon Curtis
Visit my Resources page for more musician resources.
This episode is brought to you by Bandzoogle.
From garage bands to Grammy winners, Bandzoogle powers the websites for thousands of musicians around the world.
Plans start at just $8.29/month, which includes hosting and your own free custom domain name. Go to Bandzoogle.com to start your 30 day free trial. Use promo code “robonzo” to get 15% off the first year of any subscription.
*Full Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. If you purchase products using these links, I’ll earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. Thanks for your support!
Hey there just wanted to give you a quick heads up. The words in your article seem to be running off the screen in Internet explorer. I’m not sure if this is a format issue or something to do with internet browser compatibility but I thought I’d post to let you know. The design and style look great though! Hope you get the problem solved soon. Kudos