In this episode I talk with Daniel Stidham of Raid the Quarry who shares his insights for album release strategy. We also discuss his thoughts on the business of making money as a band. Daniel’s Raleigh North Carolina based band has just released their first full length album, Temporary Cemetery which we preview.
The episode begins with Daniel Stidham discussing the launch of Raid the Quarry’s new album Temporary Cemetery. Our conversation continues with his thoughts on:
- Strategies for releasing a full album vs. an EP series
- The story behind the track “Ghost Town”
- The differences in promoting a second album compared to the first
- How members of Raid the Quarry collaborate to create songs
- Developing confidence in your own work, while being open to feedback and balancing the advice of others
- Competing for listeners’ time and attention amidst changing music trends
- Strategic planning for expanding their audience
- The business of making money as a band
3 Key Takeaways
- Everyone brings different skills to the table, we should learn to harness those skills.
- Have confidence in your work and be open to feedback.
- It’s okay to be a weekend warrior, as part of that learn, develop, and grow.
“More than anything it takes confidence. You’ve got to be able to put something forth that’s not fully formed and not be afraid of having it shot down.” – Daniel Stidham
MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE
- Temporary Cemetery, Album by Raid the Quarry
- Raid the Quarry
- The Classic Crime
- Crimson Moon Records
- Priority One, EP by Raid the Quarry
- @RaidtheQuarry Instagram
- The Watters on the Unstarving Musician
- Ezra Vancil on creating music videos
- Raid the Creamery YouTube Playlist
- The Unstarving Musician’s Guide to Getting Paid Gigs, by Robonzo
- BandZoogle – The all-in-one platform that makes it easy to build a beautiful website for your music
- The Musician’s Profit Path: The 5-Stage Blueprint To Create Massive Growth In Your Fan Base and Sustainable Income For Your Music Career, by Bree Noble
- No Booker, No Bouncer, No Bartender: How I Made $25K On A 2-Month House Concert Tour, by Shannon Curtis
Visit my Resources page for more musician resources.
This episode is brought to you by Bandzoogle.
From garage bands to Grammy winners, Bandzoogle powers the websites for thousands of musicians around the world.
Plans start at just $8.29/month, which includes hosting and your own free custom domain name. Go to Bandzoogle.com to start your 30 day free trial. Use promo code “robonzo” to get 15% off the first year of any subscription.
* Full disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. If you purchase products using these links, I earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. Thanks for your support!
[…] are seeing this because your blog was recently used as part of a DDOS attack against […]
[…] Album Release Strategy–Daniel Stidham of Raid the Quarry (Ep 102) […]