San Antonio based singer songwriter Laura Marie and I were connected by way of mutual friend and former Unstarving Musician’s Podcast guest Chris Taylor. I’m very happy with the outcome of this episode! I always enjoy interviewing music artists for this podcast–always. However, sometimes I get a wee bit off-track. I often get lost in conversation. This is the result of having so much fun speaking with the artist I’m interviewing. In these instances it’s easy to lose sight of you the listener. I may not ask enough of the questions that matter. But I think this conversation with Laura stays on point with the Unstarving Musician mission of serving the indie music artist.
I’m 81 episodes in and still learning!
Laura has made a bit of money in licensing. She’s been a speaker for the Folk Alliance. Her songwriting process has evolved over the years. She’s pretty darn savvy about social media marketing, and has a list of accolades that could make up a tattoo sleeve. But best of all… She openly shares some of the mistakes she’s made.
Laura was also very open about very personal aspects of her life. She suffers from anxiety, and is a survivor of both sexual assault and a suicide attempt. This part of her life experience has made her a voice for mental and emotional well-being. These moving themes made this episode feel like a gift. It was an important conversation for me. I hope it will be for you too.
- Laura’s website
- Laura’s Bandcamp page
- Folk Alliance International
- Madalyn Sklar & Go Girls Music
- Amy & Gary’s House Concerts
- Jason Mraz
- Stones in Exile (documentary)
[Full Disclosure: Product links listed in the Show Notes and sections below may contain affiliate links. If you purchase using these links, I’ll earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. Thanks for your support!]
- Episode 73 – Happiness in a Home Studio – Lance Harvill
- Episode 72 – Making Music with an Open Heart and Mind – Jon Christopher Davis
- Episode 60 – House Concert Host Amy Killingsworth
- Episode 71 – Songwriting, Side Hustles and Gratitude – Lindsay White
- Episode 65 – Creating Music to Discover Who He Is – Chris Taylor
RESOURCES FOR MUSICIANS
- The Unstarving Musician’s Guide to Getting Paid Gigs, by Robonzo
- No Booker, No Bouncer, No Bartender: How I Made $25K On A 2-Month House Concert Tour, by Shannon Curtis
- Growth Farming the Seth Godin Way, a FREE ebook by D Grant Smith
Leave A Comment