In this final installment of the Today’s Indie Musician series, my guest is Lara Price. We’re acquainted from our time in the San Francisco Bay Area music scene. She has a new podcast called In The Trenches with Lara Price, where she shares thoughts on her own mental health and interviews friends about the Black Lives Matter movement. Her latest album, I Mean Business, is so incredibly good. I hope you check it out.
We discuss my various observations on what it takes for indie musicians to have a thriving career. We also talk about building community both online and in person, getting comfortable with technology, digital distribution and more.
We start by talking about the need for a developed web presence (03:29) and go on to discuss:
- (06:00) Making use of the algorithm
- (14:30) Online tipping for online performances
- (20:50) Building community with exclusive content
- (25:40) The effect quarantine is having one some artists
- (31:47) Tips and tricks to get in front of more listeners
Musicians don’t ever retire.
Mentioned in this Episode
Forbes Article: Six Skills All Indie Musicians Need
In The Trenches with Lara Price Podcast
At The Intersection of Hard Work and Opportunity—Wendy Colonna (Ep 92)
Today’s Indie Musician—Mawk Phoenix (Ep 165)
Support the Podcast
The Unstarving Musician exists solely through the generosity of its listeners, readers, and viewers. Visit our Crowd Sponsor page to learn how you can offer your support.
Click here to visit the Unstarving Musician Crowd Sponsor page.
- The Unstarving Musician’s Guide to Getting Paid Gigs, by Robonzo
- Bandzoogle– The all-in-one platform that makes it easy to build a beautiful website for your music
- The Musician’s Profit Path: The 5-Stage Blueprint To Create Massive Growth In Your Fan Base and Sustainable Income For Your Music Career, by Bree Noble
- No Booker, No Bouncer, No Bartender: How I Made $25K On A 2-Month House Concert Tour, by Shannon Curtis
Visit my Resources page for more musician resources.
Pardon the Interruption (Disclosure)
Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means I make a small commission, at no extra charge to you, if you purchase using those links. Thanks for your support!
This episode is brought to you by Bandzoogle.
From garage bands to Grammy winners, Bandzoogle powers the websites for thousands of musicians around the world.
Plans start at just $8.29/month, which includes hosting and your own free custom domain name. Go to Bandzoogle.com to start your 30 day free trial. Use promo code “robonzo” to get 15% off the first year of any subscription.
[…] Unstarving Musician Episode 166: Lara Price […]
[…] Top Of The World Tranquilo Retreat Synesthesia and the Evolution of SHAPESCENES–Chase Anderson/ Today’s Indie Musician—Lara Price (Ep 166) Starting Over in Austin–Lara Price Humble Beginnings and Mean Business in Austin – Lara Price […]