Brian Wolff of Fair City Fire is giving back to Austin’s youth as Community Engagement Coordinator with a nonprofit called Kids In a New Groove. In this episode we talk about how this work and the mission keeps him connected to his music, the release of his band’s new single Simple Stupid and much more.
We start the episode by talking about Kids In a New Groove and go on to discuss:
- Shifting from mentoring to joining the Kids In a New Groove team
- The realities of foster care
- Balancing the mentor to mentee ratio
- What it takes to find the right mentor
- Changing up the songwriting process
- Promotional events and strategic partnerships
- The importance of caring for your mental health
- Avoid the jack of all trades mentality – create clear lanes for your team, especially a small team.
- Leverage your network.
- Quality above consistency.
Mentioned in this Episode
- Kids In a New Groove
- Fair City Fire
- Simple Stupid Single
- Too Damn Hot Event Aug 31
- The SIMS Foundation
- Austin Detours
- Say It Loud Podcast
- Rhonda Patrick Podcast
- Tips Concerts
- Touring, Podcasting and Rocking with Fair City Fire – Brian Wolff (Ep 55)
- Starting Over in Austin- Lara Price (Ep 47)
- Lara Price on the San Jose Music Scene, Running Jam Bands, Tips for Jammers and I Mean Business (Ep 4)
- Why DIY Recording is a Great Idea – Music Producer Mark Addison (Ep 99)
- At The Intersection of Hard Work and Opportunity – Wendy Colonna (Ep 92)
The Unstarving Musician is committed to sharing the best tips and information of other music professionals to help musicians do more of what they love – make music. Our weekly podcasts features in depth discussions with musicians and music space professionals discussing music creation, marketing, and business tips. All this is made possible by the contributions of individuals like you in our shared community who love making music.
Patreon is a bit like Kickstarter, but instead of culminating in one large project, it’s a way of crowdfunding ongoing creative endeavors. Patreon also serves as a community site where supporters can communicate and discuss new creations.
Visit the Unstarving Musician Crowd Sponsor Page for more on supporting
- The Unstarving Musician’s Guide to Getting Paid Gigs, by Robonzo
- BandZoogle – The all-in-one platform that makes it easy to build a beautiful website for your music
- The Musician’s Profit Path: The 5-Stage Blueprint To Create Massive Growth In Your Fan Base and Sustainable Income For Your Music Career, by Bree Noble
- No Booker, No Bouncer, No Bartender: How I Made $25K On A 2-Month House Concert Tour, by Shannon Curtis
Visit my Resources page for more musician resources.
This episode is brought to you by Bandzoogle.
From garage bands to Grammy winners, Bandzoogle powers the websites for thousands of musicians around the world.
Plans start at just $8.29/month, which includes hosting and your own free custom domain name. Go to Bandzoogle.com to start your 30 day free trial. Use promo code “robonzo” to get 15% off the first year of any subscription.
*Full Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. If you purchase products using these links, I’ll earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. Thanks for your support!