Singer-songwriter Tom Meny knows a thing or two about dealing with rejection and staying creative. In this repeat engagement, Tom and I chat about what to do when faced with rejection, his new podcast, and more.
In Tom’s previous appearance on the podcast, we talked at length about house concerts. This time around our conversation continues with Tom’s thoughts on:
- His forthcoming podcast
- Dealing with rejection as a musician
- On quitting your day job versus paying your bills
- Idea generation through writing a song every week
- Low-tech ideas for growing your mailing list
- Increasing your tips at live events
3 Key Points
- Rejection is part of the process. It’s okay to grieve, but keep going.
- Finish the bad songs; they are a bridge to the great ones.
- Learn to employ low-tech creative ways to grow your audience, your mailing list, and your revenue.
- “When you’re getting a rejection, it is okay to grieve about it for a while. There’s no way to get past that, but just know that others are also experiencing it, and eventually you get something great.” –Tom Meny
- “You write a hundred songs and four of them might be great. And so, you need to write another hundred to get another four, and that’s the way it works. It’s like going to the gym for the part of your brain that creates songs.” –Tom Meny
Mentioned in this Episode
Patreon is a bit like Kickstarter, but instead of culminating in one large project, it's a way of crowdfunding ongoing creative endeavors.
Visit my Resources page for more musician resources.
This episode is brought to you by Bandzoogle.
From garage bands to Grammy winners, Bandzoogle powers the websites for thousands of musicians around the world.
Plans start at just $8.29/month, which includes hosting and your own free custom domain name. Go to Bandzoogle.com to start your 30 day free trial. Use promo code “robonzo” to get 15% off the first year of any subscription.
* Full Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. If you purchase products using these links, I’ll earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. Thanks for your support!