Kelly Atkins is an insanely diverse vocalist who juggles various projects and bands, not to mention her role as Deputy Director of Kitka, a world-renowned women’s vocal ensemble. She makes all of this work while balancing motherhood and community involvement. We talk about how musicians can piece together a full-time career through multiple avenues.
An active performer both nationally and internationally for over 20 years, Kelly is based in Marin County, part of the San Francisco Bay Area. Kelly has over fifteen years of experience as a commercial vocalist, arranger and songwriter and many of her works have been licensed for television and film.
We start by talking about her various roles supporting Kitka (07:35) and go on to discuss:
- (14:57) Singing with 20 Minute Loop
- (21:10) Life as a musician mom
- (27:17) Her experience as a vocal coach
- (32:30) The market for vocal coaching and online teaching
- (46:30) Her advice for singers who want to have a thriving career
“There’s no instrument between you and the music – it is you. Singing is really emotional. Sometimes it starts off as therapy, unlocking this voice that a person has.”
“Don’t assume that you only like or can do one kind of music. Make sure you’re open to singing on projects you wouldn’t necessarily think of as your wheelhouse. Be willing to step out of your wheelhouse.”
Mentioned in this Episode
Support the Podcast
The Unstarving Musician exists solely through the generosity of its listeners, readers, and viewers. Visit our Crowd Sponsor page to learn how you can offer your support.
Click here to visit the Unstarving Musician Crowd Sponsor page.
- The Unstarving Musician’s Guide to Getting Paid Gigs, by Robonzo
- BandZoogle– The all-in-one platform that makes it easy to build a beautiful website for your music
- The Musician’s Profit Path: The 5-Stage Blueprint To Create Massive Growth In Your Fan Base and Sustainable Income For Your Music Career, by Bree Noble
- No Booker, No Bouncer, No Bartender: How I Made $25K On A 2-Month House Concert Tour, by Shannon Curtis
Visit my Resources page for more musician resources.
Pardon the Interruption (Disclosure)
Some of the links in this post, such as those in the above section, are affiliate links. This means I make a small commission, at no extra charge to you, if you purchase using those links. Thanks for your support!
This episode is brought to you by Bandzoogle.
From garage bands to Grammy winners, Bandzoogle powers the websites for thousands of musicians around the world.
Plans start at just $8.29/month, which includes hosting and your own free custom domain name. Go to Bandzoogle.com to start your 30 day free trial. Use promo code “robonzo” to get 15% off the first year of any subscription.
Leave A Comment